Thursday, March 26, 2009

Do you automatically check the balance of gift cards prior to using them for purchase?

A co-worker received a gift card through the mail from a business thanking her for her "personalized service". It was a $25 gift certificate to a restaurant. Without thinking she took her two friends and went to lunch. The server returned and told her that the card had a zero balance. Upon checking on the company, it was a company that did not exist. Someone obviously played a prank.


My question is this, if you received a gift card from a "business" that seemed reputable, would you still check the balance or would you simply use the card? I, myself, have to admit that I would have taken it for granted that it had a balance on it as well.



I always do even if it is from a relative! My aunt gave me a $100.00 American express gift card for my wedding. Well I went and got all of the stuff I wanted and got to the register where they told me it had a zero balance. I even had the receipt showing she had paid for it. I had to mail her back the gift card and it took them two months to give her money back.


Now when ever I get a card I check the balance first. I don't want to go through that mess again.




I always check the balance on any gift card prior to use, even if it is one I purchased myself. There are many ways someone can siphon that money off the card even without ever taking it physically and I want to make sure that hasn't happened. I also always register my cards online, so if something does happen I get the money back minus a fee rather than lose the whole amount of the card. I use gift cards as a way to monitor and budget my "fun" money (read: internet shopping! LOL!) and I'd hate to have to give that up because I didn't want to take the time to take precautions. I simply love shopping too much to take the chance!




I wouldn't even think about checking the balance. But I think a few of those cards have 1-800 numbers that you can call to check




Makes sense to check on the balance, esp. after reading some of these stories.




i always check the balance to make sure

No comments:

Post a Comment